From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 2:12 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Z/VM 4.4 system question

On Monday, 10/02/2006 at 01:59 AST, "Dodds, Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I have inherited an incomplete project from a coworker that is longer
with the
> school. Currently we have a Z/VM 4.4 system in a separate LPAR called
TECH,
> that was to be used to convert an set of array in our Shark dasd
subsystem from
> 3380 to another array set in 3390 format and to experiment with
running
Linux
> under Z/VM.
[...]
> But when I try to IPL the
> TECHVSE system on the z/VM system on the TECH LPAR I get this message:
>
> HCPMCV1459E The virtual machine is placed in check-stop state due to a

system
> malfunction with CPU 00.

Your statement about having only one CPU notwithstanding, I would have
expected this if the TECH LPAR was running on an IFL instead of a
standard
CPU. Are you sure you don't have an IFL for the z/VM LPAR and a standard

CPU for VSE?