On: Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 11:51:31AM -0500,Tom Duerbusch Wrote:

} Now that is worth something.....
} It comes back with the number of cylinders, not just model.
}
} It use to be that model ment something....the number of cylinders you
} could expect.  But I've hit too many times, and I've done it also, had
} the dasd system create small packs.  Perhaps it was due to a small
} amount of space left over in the raid.  Perhaps there as a real lock
} file that only needed to be a few cylinders in size.

Many moons ago, I wrote a rexx callable assembler utility called
RXSENSID.  It issued a sensid and a read device characteristics CCWs to
a virtual device via diagnose i/o.  One of the items the read device
characteristics CCW returns is the number of cylinders on the device if
it happens to be a DASD.  Under VM, CP fills in the actual number of
cylinders that the (mini)disk has.

You can get a copy from the list archives or from me.  Here is a bit of
rexx to illustrate its use:

/*
  Interface for RXSENSID.
*/

false = (1=0)
true  = (1=1)
Address COMMAND
Trace O

parse upper arg cuu .

parse value 'SENSID'(cuu) with devc ',' sensid ',' devchar .

say 'Device class for:' cuu '=' devc

say 'Sensid data for:' cuu '=' sensid

say 'Dev characteristics for:' cuu '='

do j = 56 to 1 by -8
   devchar = insert(' ',devchar,j)
end

say devchar

exit

CAVEAT:  It MAY need some tweaking for 64 bit CP, I don't have any
access to a VM system these days.

Note: Its got some code dual pathed for running under VM/SP or VM/XA
which is no longer needed (or is anybody still running VM/SP or
VM/370?).

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67