Why we still have some coax users?

1.  It is reliable.  We had a lot of network type problems in the late
90s, but I do have to say that our network is reliable now.  Except for
some sites on our WAN, but then they don't have a coax option anymore.

2.  3270 tubes are reliable.  When they break, they just get replaced.
When broke, PCs are down for a much longer time.  We try not to tell
customers (tax payers), come back/call back tomorrow when my PC is
working.

3.  Believe it or not, we still have a set of real, true, IBM 3287
printers.  They still run.  They still work.  And all of our CICS
printing goes directly to printers, and not using EXEC CICS SPOOL...

4.  There are only about 160 of the 3270s left.  They served us well.
We have many places that don't need anything else, then a mainframe
session.

Not that we don't use TN3270.  We just bought, I believe I was told,
1,000 licenses for TN3270.  I assume some of them are replacements for a
TN3270 product that didn't seem to do so well with XP.  I don't know who
or what application is getting the rest of the licenses.

BTW, what emulator is $300 per site?  We tried several and the
inexpensive ones, failed on some "required function".

Anyway, some of our users, even the TN3270 ones, bounce between CICS
systems.  They need to be non-EDS for some regions and EDS for others.
Connecting to different ports means support problems if they connect to
an EDS "ports" and then connect to the older, non-EDS applications.

I've also found that if you connect with a non-EDS terminal (or at
least a non-EDS Logmode), some EDS type transactions abend.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/10/2006 3:14 PM >>>
Why not? Once you have one range, you can set up another range and
assign CUUs to different people. Have VM own the terminal so that they

get the VM logo screen and have them then do the correct dial. That is

how we handled the few remaining coax terminal.
Of course, the next question is "why do users or programmers still have

coax?". These same people should have PCs on their desk with TCP/IP and

considering that there are TN3270 emulators for $300 per site, why not

switch them over to non-coax.

Tony Thigpen