On Wednesday, 10/18/2006 at 08:19 EST, "Jeff Gribbin, EDS"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> but howabout running z/VM in a Hercules that was itself running under
> Linux in a virtual machine that was being delivered using the same z/VM
as
> was running, "down there" - and is, of course, properly and fully
licensed.

It's been done.

> Not entirely academic - some of the devices that Hercules can emulate
are
> pretty hard to find nowadays and if one happened to have an application
> that depended on one of these devices ...

Such as?

> (I would, of course, not expect such a configuration to be SUPPORTED
> but ... is it legal?)

Is the copy of z/VM you're running in the guest licensed to run on that
processor?  If so, do whatever you want.  And you're right - it wouldn't
be supported since it isn't running on certified architecture.