On Oct 18, 2006, at 6:19 AM, Jeff Gribbin, EDS wrote:

"NO you can not run VM - any version - under
Hercules".

Now, this is one of those, "But why would you want to do this?" questions
,
but howabout running z/VM in a Hercules that was itself running under
Linux in a virtual machine that was being delivered using the same z/VM a
was running, "down there" - and is, of course, properly and fully license
d.

Not entirely academic - some of the devices that Hercules can emulate are

pretty hard to find nowadays and if one happened to have an application

that depended on one of these devices ...

(I would, of course, not expect such a configuration to be SUPPORTED
but ... is it legal?)

The information I've gotten from IBM--which has been unofficial--is that if you're running VM on the processor to which it is licensed, they don't care how many levels of virtualization you're running it on, or what the intervening levels of virtualization are.

Certainly no one has told me I was naughty for running z/VM 4.4 in 64- bit mode on Hercules on Linux/390 on z/VM 4.4 in 31-bit mode on the H70 we had the z/VM license for. High on cough syrup, yes. Naughty, no.

Adam