From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent:   Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:21 PM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: VSWITCH

On Tuesday, 10/24/2006 at 01:33 MST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Is there some reason that having a "NICDEF 500 TYPE QDIO LAN SYSTEM
VMTEST" in
> the directory does not authorize the user for that switch?

Hmmm...you probably weren't looking for the "Because we didn't want it to
work that way" response, were you?  }:-)

There are a few reasons rolling around in there.
1.  The switch management model itself.  Turning ports on and off and
assigning VLANs is the job of the switch administrator.  When you plug
your OSA into a switch, you are not, just because you plugged the cable
in, given access.
2.  Auditability.  The switch-based security model allows you to know who
has access without regard to whether they are currently logged on.  This
improves auditability and avoids having to scan the directory.
3.  Security.  It is increasingly the case that the roles of "security
admin" and "system admin" do not reside in the same person.
4.  Consider the LINK command in the directory.  Without an ESM, it
confers permission.  With an ESM, it does not.  Do we continue that same
weird model?  Or do we just bite the bullet and separate authorization
from configuration?

Any one of them was probably not enough to do it the way we did (though #3
is pretty persuasive), but taken together and looking into our cheap glass
ball (couldn't afford crystal), it seemed that separate of authorization
and configuration were appropriate.

I think you will find more of this, not less, as time goes on, being
driven primarily by #3 any more.  We have customers who are adamant on
this point.

I have been informed, in no uncertain terms, that System Programmers do
not rule the world.  They must beg permission from Security Administrators
just like .... Users (gasp!)...  [sorry to use such ugly language].
Explaining about Ultimate Power does no good since a sysprog who exercises
it will be taken out to the coffee machine and be forced to drink plain
water, and the candy machine will be rendered forever inoperable.