In my view, the tape label support directly in DDR is *only* to give
standalone DDR the capability to read any multivolume labeled tapes
generated by CMS DDR.  If I'm willing to live with the restriction that

standalone DDR will not be able to do that, which I am, then all I really

need is what is in the first requirement I posted, which is essentially a
interface to an existing EXIT (DMSTVS/DMSTVI):

"Requirement: When running under CMS, DDR should allow interfacing with

tape management systems during EOV processing and allow the tape
management system to control the tape drive during such processing."

With the TMS in control at EOV the TMS will appropriatly position the new

tape before giving control back to DDR.  They can be labeled or not, CMS

DDR will never know.  The SYSPARM parameter on FILEDEF can be used to pas
whatever tape mount information is needed to DMSTVI.

Brian Nielsen

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:07:52 -0700, Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

>Tape Label support in DDR has always seemed to be a non-starter for IBM.

>What you might succeed in, is asking for an EXIT (remember EXITS, that

great
>idea that could get us away from source code), that would be invoked at

Tape