Alan,

That is certainly a possibility.  Another listserv member mentioned that
yesterday in a direct email to me.

This VM system was formerly configured as PRIROUTER until our z/OS network
administrator had a temporary requirement to define a hipersockets
connection to another z/OS system; at that point, I had to change my
VSWITCH definitions to NONROUTER because the z/OS systems are IPLd first
and I also changed my TCPIP DEVICE definitions to SECROUTER.

Those changes did happen since our last test.

In converting the TCPIP definition to standard OSA, I would have retained
the SECROUTER option, which I understand would have allowed me to assume
PRIROUTER status had another PRIROUTER system not been active.

There was some confusion about whether any z/OS systems were sharing the
OSA port with VM during the test; I heard two different answers to the
question.

So, it seems plausible that SETing the VSWITCH definition to specify
PRIROUTER might have corrected this problem.  Its too bad VSWITCH doesn't
support a SECROUTER option similar to TCPIP itself.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dennis

             "Alan Altmark"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ibm.com>                                                   To
             Sent by: "The IBM         IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: Disaster Recovery VSWITCH
                                       Networking Issues

             10/26/2006 10:01
             PM

             Please respond to
               "The IBM z/VM
             Operating System"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

On Thursday, 10/26/2006 at 03:33 EST, Dennis Schaffer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest specific documentation I should gather in the event
this
> problem occurs during our next DR test?

As a guess, the VSWITCH is defaulting to NONROUTER.  If you're going to
attach a virtual router to the VSWITCH, then you must have PRIROUTER.
Remember, the Guest LAN IP addresses are not known to the OSA; only those
on the VSWITCH are registered.