HATS is kind of an expensive solution to the requirement of securred
3270 screen access.

Have you looked at SSL access?

Also, I've very interested in why VPN doesn't meet "some" of the needs.

Is it that you have public 3270 access and you don't want to have the
key management headaches?
Or do you want to "hitch a ride" on the trusted client part of the web
browser?

Are you planning to use HATS just to give you a green screen on the web
page?  Or are the plans to also make the green screens look pretty?

zWebHost can do the CICS applications using a lot less mainframe
resources then HATS, but I don't think they have an option to route VM
screens.

I think Host on Demand is being phased out in favor of HATS.

I have a tendancy to avoid Java applications (anything on Websphere),
unless it is my only option.  I don't like the hardware requirements IF
I have any options that work as well.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Hans Rempel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/27/2006 12:33 PM >>>
I need to provide secure access to a VM/VSE system. We are currently
using Hummingbird TN3270 to access VM 3270 screens and then dial to the
VSE guests. VPN is a solution and is being used but does not meet SOME
of the colleges users needs.

We have SUSE 9 LINUX running as a guest under z/VM 5.2 on an IFL LPAR.
We are licensed for HATS, CICS gateway and Websphere but they have not
yet been installed. The z/VM 5.2 and z/VSE 3.1 runs on the 390 LPAR.
Hipersockets have been defined between both but are not currently ready
for use. The OSA express card is shared between LPARs and currently
provides connections to each.

I have reviewed the HATS documentation and it appears that it will give
us a secure browser connection for 3270 terminals. Will this solution
provide me 3270 access to the VM 390 LPAR? VSE access can then be done
via dial or the CICS gateway.

Is anyone using HATS and may wish to provide me with user experience,
setup and things to lookout for.

Thanks Hans Rempel

Sent via the WebMail system at hmrconsultants.com