Just ALLOCATE. Format would have been more devastating.

Regards,
Richard Schuh

 -----Original Message-----
From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Kris Buelens
Sent:   Monday, October 30, 2006 1:56 PM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: Corrupted IPL Record

You didn't perform both FORMAT and ALLOCATE?

Kris,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

"Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2006-10-30 21:32
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Corrupted IPL Record

If this shows up twice, I apologize. I first sent it 2 hours ago and it
hasn't hit the archives as yet.

Over the weekend, we upgraded our final system to 5.2. As a part of the
migration, we changed old PARM extents to PERM and allocated new PARM
extents. When we tried to ipl the system, there were errors that led me to
the conclusion that the IPL program had been corrupted. Using DDR on
another system, I observed that record 0 0 2 had been completely wiped
out. There were a few scattered bits that were not 0 in the first 100-200
bytes, nothing that was any kind of pattern, and the rest of the record
was all 0. Records 1, and 3-6 were all as they should have been. I had to
run SALIPL to fix the IPL program.

I am not blaming CPFMTXA ALLOCATE because I think it highly unlikely that
it was the cause. I suspect that something else happened between the
previous IPL and yesterday's failed attempt. Has anyone else seen this
kind of corruption or are we, once again, unique?

Regards,
Richard Schuh