They know. That is why they wanted to convert to Windows. They truly
believed that they could replace the z890 (capacity 250) running z/OS
and CICS mainly with two Unisys servers, one running MS SQL server, the
other running all the applications. This would be "significantly more
cost effective". Around here zSeries is identically equal to "too
expensive". Period. Trying to convince them otherwise is just
impossible. They refuse to listen.

> z/VM is a OTC (One Time Charge in this case) product, listing
> at something
> like $40K per IFL.

We had z/VM on our IFL at one time. It was cancelled. Management had
ideas that they could consolidate Windows servers onto an IFL running
Linux. And didn't even bother to ask those of us who knew better. "A
computer is a computer is a computer!"

> Linux from SuSE has a $5K per year support/subscription cost,
> and if you
> don't pay the sub,you can still use the product.

Again, I had SUSE Linux under that z/VM. Unfortunately, since it was a
"UNIX" system, we z/OS people were told "hands off, it's not your area!"
It then died because the "open" systems people couldn't figure out
anything to do with it. So they just ignored it and it died. Despite my
requests to allow me to support it. "No, that's not your area, be
quiet."

I now have SUSE SLES 10 running under Hercules/390 on an Athlon64 at
home. Just to keep my hand in.

> HLASM from Dave Rivers is *amazingly* affordable.
> We could probably be coerced into licensing some software. :)

I had System/ASM on my Linux system at home for a while. Unfortunately,
my finances collapsed later that year due to illness in the family,
which did not allow me to relicense it. The same with System/C. I agree
that they are great products. I was attempting (perhaps foolishly) to
see if I could cross-compile GNU software on my Intel/Linux system to
run under z/OS.

> All in all, the reason we went this route in the first place
> was simply the
> licensing costs for z/OS and CICS. The only significant costs
> we have are
> hardware maintenance, and those are roughly equivalent to the
> same costs on
> PCs or RS6000, or even iSeries machines.

Nice. You seem to have a much more open minded management than what I am
used to. Here such a project would die before it could even be presented
due to political factors. If we convert from z/OS (which is still the
position of current management) to another platform, it __will__ be
Windows. Period. End of discussion. Well, the plan is to allow z/OS to
die a natural death as applications which run on it are replaced with
COTS Windows software which "does the same function" without really
doing a conversion, per se.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.