Either way, you're going to pay. If there is HSA-only memory, then
you'll need to size that independantly of your "user memory". What
happens when your IOCDS won't fit any more due to growth? You'll need an
upgrade! Expensive. So long as IBM is up front about a 16GiB box not
necessarily having 16GiB for use by an OS, then I'm OK with the HSA
coming out of regular memory.

Also remember that the z system boxes are becoming more heavily
millicoded. Millicode is based on a subset of "normal" zArch
instructions (the "hard wired" ones) plus "extra". If HSA memory were
something special, the I'd bet that the millicode interface would be
greatly complicated. Not that I know how it works now!

Also remember that PRSM / LPAR management resides in the HSA as well. So
as features are added, they take more memory. It would almost be like a
shop which is running VSE or z/OS decides to go to z/VM, then complains
that z/VM "takes up real memory to run!" And then ask why z/VM doesn't
have its own memory pool, seperate from the guest's real memory pool.
Oh, and that the z/VM memory pool be "free"?

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.