From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Bolch
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:10 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Problem Reporting, was: Corrupted IPL Record

A few weeks ago we were seeing comments like this:

> As for the VM:Secure thing, I find that simply documenting how the
product can screw > up a system is not only an unacceptable answer, it
borders on repugnance. A
> strategic product that should always be working should never violate
the integrity
> of the system. There is no justification for it. The changed
allocation on the disk
> must be respected. Reallocating a disk is a normal maintenance
activity.

>I'll second this comment. This is a serious bug impacting system
>integrity. Documenting the bug is not an acceptable response.

Yvonne then asked for any VM:Secure customers who were being
impacted by this problem to call CA support and register their concern.

Not one customer called in.

For CA to allocate resources to customer problem resolution, the
problems
must be reported to CA technical support. VM:Secure has worked in the
same manner, regarding the cached allocation map, for almost 25 years.
One call from Mike in a quarter century does not sway management in the
direction of allocating resources to do a design change in this area..

Complaining about something on the list is positive, in that it
encourages
discussion on issues. However, software vendors allocate resources
based on submitted requirements and technical support calls. Speaking
to Fran or Kitty is a very pleasant experience. It's easy to do and
you'll enjoy it.

Bob Bolch
VM:Secure team