Sorry for my delay in responding. I have been under the weather. I finally
found the documentation regarding a DDR IPL using an HMC with no 3270
console or integrated console available. I used this on VM 3.1 but I can't
see why it would not work with VM 2.4.

You will need to IPL the standalone DDR tape and add the following 8
character value AUTODDDA to the PARM field. DDDA is the address of the disk
drive to receive the output from the DDR restore.

This IPL provides no messages and will load the DDR program and restore tape
data to disk drive DDDA. Upon successful completion a disable PSW state will
be loaded "PSW 000A0000 00000000".

You can now IPL address DDDA and follow the normal IPL procedures using the
HMC.

This emergency system at address DDDA automatically brings up TCPIP and
provides 3270 access. Log onto a userid and start restores or one better
build this system as your DR system. You can automate it so you can just
autolog userids to perform you automatic DR restore procedures. Naturally
you have tested them out many times before running this DR emergency system
as a second level system with small mini-disk representing your floor
system. You just can't beat VM for making life at work easy.

Hans Rempel