I don't know the method with AUTODDDA. Therefore I will tell you how I do it
if necessary (hopefully not too often).

The standalone method if you have no VM working:

1. Mount the tape containing the DDR IPL on a drive
2. on HMC IPL on the tape drive with LOADPARM XXXX where XXXX is the 4-digit
device address of the 3270 console terminal where you want to enter the
restore parms. This terminal must be switched on before starting the ipl.
3. After IPL there should appear a message similar to this
z/VM DASD DUMP/RESTORE PROGRAM
ENTER CARD READER ADDRESS OR CONTROL STATEMENTS
ENTER:
4. now enter the following on the screen
SYSPRINT CONS
If there is MORE THAN ONE DDR DUMP on the tape:               IN tapeaddress
TAPE (LEAVE
else
IN tapeaddress TAPE
OUT dasdaddr DASD
RESTORE ALL

After the restore you can enter a new OUT dasdaddr DASD and RESTORE ALL.
Notice: Do not enter a blank command line to the DDR program because it
thinks then it's finished and you have to reipl from the standalone tape.

A DDR standalone tape can be created as follows from a CMS user with an
attached tape drive as 181:

FILEDEF INMOVE DISK IPL DDRXA S
FILEDEF OUTMOVE TAP1 (BLOCK 80
MOVEFILE

I know there is also a UTILTAPE command, but I find this more handy. I can
put these commands into an exec and put a DDRIPL automatically in front of a
DDR dump.

Please don't understand me wrong. I don't say that Hans' method does not
work but I only know this method for restoring a standalone DDR dump.

Hope this helps

Franz Josef