COS was pretty much standard with the early S/360-30 users. I don't remember if it came as a part of DOS or was an addon. I was a Jr. Ass't. Probationery Trainee IBM Systems Engineer starting in 1967 and from about 1968 when I was actually allowed to go to a customer account almost, everyone of my -30 customer accounts had the 1401 emulation feature on the -30 and used COS. I didn't actually see any multi-programming usage until I installed, in about 1969, the early version of POWER in one of my accounts. I think mine was the first POWER installation in Chicago. It was really HASP with the necessary mods to make it run under DOS. It was a real eye opener. There was a large national account marketing team in my branch office that had to demo multi-programming to their customer by running TOS, which was the tape version of DOS, but it had the same structure with BG, F2, and F1. That marketing team couldn't get MFT to work well enough to use it for the demo. My early work with them was on PCP systems, a non-MPG version of OS.

Jim

Carey Schug wrote:
------=_Part_53849_12272107.1164518397054

I don't know about the model 25, but we had a room full of mod 30s that had
a locally MODIFIED operating system (DOS)  to support a program we called
COS or COSFG (for compatibility operating system), so we could emulate two
1401s (each an 8K 1401 in a 24K DOS paritition), one in the F1 partition and
one in the BG partition, each with its own card reader running DOS jobs
(starting with release 18(?) of DOS (prior to that there was no job control
system for the F1 F2 parititions.  The F2 partition was only 2K and  had to
be started by console commands (JCL required a 12K (?) partition, and we
used it for spooling, mostly printing tapes created on the 7010s, but a few
programs we ran on the mod 30s also spooled input or output.  And once a
year we had to copy all the source program card decks onto tape for offsite
backup.

Each mod 30 had a 2540 card read/punch, a 2501, two printers (usually a
1403N1 and a 1404 or 1403), three to five 2311 disk drives, and maybe four
or five 2401 tape drives.  On disk 190 was the operating system, the others
were not used except fro sort work areas and a very small number of native
260 programs.  Later on they added 2520 card punches to some systems so both
foreground and background could punch cards.

On first shift, there were two operators per machine, one for F1 and one for
BG normally, but also to cover breaks/lunch and F2.  Off shift and weekends,
only one person per machine, you would try to keep both partitions busy
(jobs did tend to be longer), but if you couldn't, you didn't need to worry
about it.  Most jobs only had to be done by morning anyway, but during the
day jobs would come in and be picked up in minutes or hours.