Two different systems...

LPAR1 is /22.  The netmask which I didn't show is:  000.000.003.0
The netmask I did show, which is /24, is for the second level system on
LPAR0.

I took down LPAR1 last night, and brought up the second level system,
now first level.  Just to see if the supernet was getting involved and
preventing me doing what I wanted.  But I had the same problems.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/5/2006 10:53 AM >>>
You say /22, but your netmask is set for /24.

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
> I'm hoping that there is a fix for this, because a known fix, is
easier
> to fix then changing our network <G>.
>
> I have two LPARs,
>
> LPAR0, is the 390 side.
> z/VM 5.1 IP address 205.235.227.74
> Runs mostly VSE guests, IP address 192.168.99.xxx
> OSA ports 2000 - 2005
>
> LPAR1, is the IFL side.
> z/VM 5.1 IP address is 192.168.193.3 (this is a supernet
> 192.168.192/22)
> Runs mostly zLinux guests, IP address 192.168.193.xxx
> OSA ports 2010-2015
>
> Both LPARs are using vswitch.
>
> Instead of installing z/VM 5.2 in another LPAR, I installed it,
second
> level, under LPAR0.
> VMTEST on the 390 side
> z/VM 5.2 IP address 192.168.194.4  (note that this address is
covered
> by the supernet, but LPAR1 isn't using this Class C network).
> OSA ports 2016-2018.
>
> Note all addresses are on the same OSA card, and the same port on
the
> card.  If the network types are doing any routing for me, everything
> should be getting to the same, physical cable.  So I'm hoping that
any
> routing problems can be solved on my side.
>
> I can ping myself 192.168.194.4.
> I cannot ping 192.168.194.1, 205.235.227.41, 205.235.227.74,
> 192.168.3.21 (my PC).
> And it doesn't seem that anyone can ping me (192.168.194.4).
>
> netstat home
> VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 520
>
> IPv4 Home address entries:
>
> Address         Subnet Mask      Link
> -------         -----------      ------
> 192.168.194.4   255.255.255.0    QDIO1
>
> IPv6 Home address entries: None
>
> Ready; T=0.02/0.04 11:14:00
> netstat gate

> VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 520

> Known IPv4 gateways:

> Subnet Address  Subnet Mask      FirstHop        Flgs PktSz Metric
Link

> --------------  -----------      --------        ---- ----- ------
> ------
> Default         <none>           205.235.227.41  UGS  1500  <none>
> QDIO1
> 192.168.194.0   255.255.255.0    <direct>        UT   1500  <none>
> QDIO1
> 205.235.227.0   255.255.255.0    <direct>        US   1500  <none>
> QDIO1
>

> Known IPv6 gateways: None

> Ready; T=0.02/0.04 11:14:16

> netstat dev

> VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 520

> Device [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Type: OSD            Status: Ready

>   Queue size: 0     CPU: 0     Address: 2016        Port name:
> UNASSIGNED
>   IPv4 Router Type: NonRouter  Arp Query Support: Yes

>     Link QDIO1                 Type: QDIOETHERNET   Net number: 0

>       BytesIn: 0               BytesOut: 308

>       Forwarding: Enabled      MTU: 1500            IPv6: Disabled

>       Broadcast Capability: Yes

>       Multicast Capability: Yes

>       Group                                   Members

>       -----                                   -------

>       224.0.0.1                                  1

> Ready; T=0.02/0.03 11:14:31

> The config file:
>
> ;

> DEVICE [EMAIL PROTECTED]  OSD 2016

> LINK QDIO1 QDIOETHERNET [EMAIL PROTECTED]  MTU 1500

> ; (End DEVICE and LINK statements)

> ;

> ;

> HOME

> 192.168.194.4   255.255.255.000 QDIO1

> ; (End HOME Address information)

> ;

> GATEWAY

> ; Network       Subnet          First           Link             MTU

> ; Address       Mask            Hop             Name             Size

> ; ------------- --------------- --------------- ----------------
-----

> 205.235.227     255.255.255.0   =               QDIO1            1500

> DEFAULTNET                      205.235.227.41  QDIO1            1500

> ; (End GATEWAY Static Routing information)

> ;

> START [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> ; (End START statements)

> ;

> I thought that LPAR1, with the supernet, might be interferring with
my
> using part if it's network.  So last night I took LPAR1 down and
IPL'ed

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007