http://www-3.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/systems_management/ibm_director

> contains the string: /xseries/
>
> Tom, are you certain that was the URL given in the SDO doc?

IBM Director is not a new product, having existed on xSeries long before
it appeared anywhere else.  The Director demo that explicitly discusses
z/VM can be found there.

> Personally, I think the whole Virtualization Engine and IBM Director
product
> description is a huge mess of unreadable legal folderol and
cross-function
> confusion.  I suppose the marketing and descriptions could be worse, but
it
> would take even more astonishing (not too much more) creativity.  But
that's
> just my opinion, and does "not necessarily represent the opinions or
policies
> of Hewitt Associates.".

Then I know which presentations you will be attending at SHARE, learning
about VE and Director.  :-)

But let me give you the Sysprog Reader's Digest(R) Version:
1. VE is a collection of system management functions, including eWLM and
IBM Director.
2. IBM Director is an application server that holds the Director-based
applications such as IBM Virtualization Manager and the z/VM Center
3. Some functions are free, some are priced.
4. It provides a single point of control (portal) from which you can being
to manage both servers AND storage (disks, you guys, disks...not memory),
and eventually everything in between.
5. Watch for cooperation and integration with Tivoli and ISV products,
whether launch-in-context or full snap-in.
6. Its design is based on open standards (CIM, SMI-S).  It is not 100%
there today since those models are just now coming to the fore in their
respective organizations (DMTF, SNIA).
7. It does not pretend to be Ultimate Systems Management Tool, the answer
to your dreams.

The adventure continues....