This looks like an MVS question, but it's really not -
I do all the IOCP preparation from VM, for both the
VM and the MVS boxes, and have to
explain to the MVS people why it's not necessary to
do it in MVS for that box.

In my IOCP I have CVC channels (ESCON Converter
to parallel [bus/tag] devices) defined with
 PART=(MVSPROD,REC)
so that they will be reconfigurable.

In the IOCP listing, these channels show up with
MVSPROD as the Accesslist, and all other LPARs
as 'C' - the Candidate list.

In order to move the channel from MVSPROD to
a different LPAR, we used the 'Reconfigure' item
in the HMC, but our MVS consultant says we should
have been able to just vary the path online in the other
MVS. He suggested that I change the PART=
to read like this:
 PART=((MVSPROD),(MVSTEST,SYSTST),REC)

I tried compiling an IOCP like that, and it looked to
me like all I achieved was to *decrease* my candidate
list from *all* LPARs, to only the named ones.

Does anyone here have experience with moving
reconfigurable paths from within an O/S, without
going to the HMC? What needs to be done to
enable that function?

It occurs to me that perhaps I just need to
change the IODF of the other MVS to know
about this channel, even though it finds it offline.
Would that do the trick? If so, what would be
the solution for VM LPARs? (Hmm.. put the
offline channels in DMKRIO?? <g>)

Thanks,
Shimon
**
Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.     http://www.poboxes.com/shimonpgp
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 530-9877  fax: 530-9308
**