As a lark, I tried bring up VSE/ESA 2.7.2 up under a second level z/VM
5.2 (z/VM Version 5 Release 2.0, service level 0602 (64-bit) ) system
that is running under z/VM 5.1 (z/VM Version 5 Release 1.0, service
level 0501 (64-bit)).

No go.

Right after "ipl restart point has been bypassed", I get:

HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 000A0000 00001000
DISPLAY 0:15
R00000000  1A000FD0 00000061 00000000 00000000 06
R00000010  000073B0 000005C8

I read it as a VSE cancel code, IO error.

I buy that, but what device?  It should be dasd at this point.
On the first level system, I created VMTEST (the second level system).
I copied over the mdisk statements from TSTESA5F to VMTEST.  So now all
minidisks needed by TSTESA5F, will appear to VMTEST as real disks.  On
the second level system, I changed the mdisk statements for TSTESA5F to
DED statements.  Well, it worked in the past.

My immediate concern is, is there VSE maintenance that is needed to run
on z/VM 5.2 over and above the maintenance that was needed to run on
z/VM 5.1?  (I thought the maintenance to run under z/VM 5.1 was more
hardware related for the 64 bit z/890 then for running unde z/VM 5.1,
but that was a while back.)

Anyone hit this recently?  I'm now concerned enough that, if I don't
get a solution, I will be in this Christmas weekend to bring up z/VM 5.2
first level and bring up some of the test VSE systems up to validate I
don't have any VSE related conversion problems.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting