btw sometimes age doesn't matter
depends on the shop
I know of a shop still running a 4331 w/ 3370 drives op sys hasn't been
supported in years more like ages
spins tapes an prints labels

             Alan Altmark
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             ibm.com>                                                   To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: START UR FCB Operand

             01/11/2007 01:12
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

On Thursday, 01/11/2007 at 09:57 PST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Obviously you are too young to remember the 1403 and 3215.

Puh-leeze.

I scoff in your general direction, Richard.  I used to do Operator Duty on
the 1403.  ("Now, where did I leave my coffee? I see we're <splash> out of
paper.  Oh, yes, now I remember where I left it...")  :-)  I was going on
the rash assumption that David's printer wasn't so old as to require a
physical carriage control (the thing the FCB replaced).

If we're talking about emulated printers with built-in FCBs, then the
DEFFCB option may suffice.  The problem, of course, is that it is
emulating a printer that an FCB to work.  And CP "knows" that.  Such is
the reality of emulating old hardware.  Maybe if it emulated a 1403...