What I think is happening here, since it was mentioned that the problem
only occurs when the JES link has not been started is, JES decided to
make an implementation change to stop RSCS from retrying connect
attempts until the JES link had started.  What they decided to do
was to reject the RSCS connect request with the node mismatch error
to cause the RSCS link to drain.  I don't believe the RESTART exec
will be called in this case as it is viewed as an error requiring
operator intervention.  One customer had complained RSCS is
repeatedly trying to restart the link and this was their solution.

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development