Quoting Tom Duerbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Stephen
>
> Since VM/ESA 370 mode, I don't think I ever had HOME statements for
> anything other than my VM system.  That includes last week when we were
> on z/VM 5.1.  Now, I think I'm being told that I need a HOME statement
> for each link statement.  And now told that these few dozen HOME
> statements, all need IP addresses that don't duplication any of my
> HOSTs.  So I'm really being dense here....  How, or what matches up the
> IP address in the HOME entry to the IP address used by the HOST?  And if
> there is nothing that matches the two together, why have the entry in
> the HOST section to begin with?
>
> It's really going to be a "eureka" moment, if and when I understand
> this. <G>
>
> Tom Duerbusch
> THD Consulting

I hope I can say it in a way that will look clearer.

Assume a network that looks like this:

The VM is actually on two different nets, the one connecting
it to linux, and the one connecting it to VSE.

Inside VM's TCPIP it needs to know "what is MY name"
for every network VM talks on. So in this case VM will
need, in its HOME section, two different addresses.

You said:
> The IP address of my VM system is 205.235.227.74.
> The IP address of the Linux system is 192.168.99.227.

But actually, VM *must* have TWO IP addresses here,
one on the 205.235.227. net and one on the 192.168.99. net.
AFAIK, there ain't no way a host calling itself 192... will
talk to another one calling itself 205... over one wire
unless you have a router in between.

so let's say VM is 205.235.227.74 *and* 192.168.99.240.

HOME
   205.235.227.74  VSENIC
   192.168.099.240 LNXNIC

(That HOME is not your adapter names, but I hope you
understand the basic idea:
one IP address for THIS computer - VM - on EACH network).

Then we need to tell TCPIP where to find various outside
systems. So, we tell it the IP address and mask of the network
with the linux, and also the IP address/mask of the network with VSE.

GATEWAY
   205.235.227.120 255.255.255.0 =             VSESYS
   192.168.099.227 255.255.255.0 =             LNXSYS

(Making up a different IP for VSE).

That way when it wants to communicate with VSE it knows what
network adapter to use and how to identify itself, by finding
the HOME line that meets the IP/mask criteria of VSE's network.

Same for the linux...

I probably didn't say this exactly according to Alan's
definitions of things, but it is how I understand stuff.

HTH,
Shimon