-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:00 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z9 systems and tape drives

On Thursday, 01/25/2007 at 02:21 CST, Ed Zell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to hook an IBM 3490-F01 tape drive
>> to the new z9 BC series processors?  (The F01 has a SCSI attachment).

> Being an antique (the drive, not me), I think the 3490-F01 has an
> "old-fashioned" daisy-chain SCSI connector.  It will not directly
attach
> to a z9 Fibre Channel (FCP) adapter.  There may be SCSI<->FC
converters
> or  switch adapters Out There.  Dunno.  Either way sounds expensive.
>
> But once attached to the z9, it MAY work with Linux as a dedicated
> device.  It will not work for CP or CMS.

Yes, it has a daisy-chain SCSI connector on it.  And if it won't work
with CP or CMS, then I may be SOL.

What I really would like to do is take advantage of our network side
tape devices for backup.  They have some pretty cool drives and a
small tape silo.  If we both used a DS6000 or DS8000 storage unit
would their drives be able to backup my mainframe data?

Ed Zell
(309) 674-8255 x-107
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:  This communication, including any attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and contains information which may be confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, notify
the sender immediately, delete the communication and destroy all copies. Thank
you for your compliance.