On Thursday, 02/01/2007 at 12:43 EST, Richard Troth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried to build OpenSSL and then OpenSSH on z/OS (USS),  but could not
get the
>  ./configure  step to behave.  In particular,  both scripts get wedged
on a
> shell file descriptor.  (Other packages which follow the standard recipe
build
> pretty well on USS.)  Given this wonderful  "cradle"  (I think it's an
LE
> thing),  you can take binaries from USS and run them on OpenVM without
> additional work.  Very nice!   ...   if they'll just build in the first
place.

That isn't true, Sir Rick.  The cradle is customized to the specific calls
the application makes.  It could make unsupported (in CMS) LE library
calls, exploit MVS Callable Services, issue Program Call or other DAT ON
instructions, etc.

> The single biggest challenge on OpenVM  (compared to USS)  is how it
handles
>  fork().  Long story.  Not for now.

> We have the z/OS OpenSSH package  (in its SMP/E wrapper).  SSH to/from
z/OS
> works just fine.  I find that the  'ssh'  executable from that runs
directly on
> OpenVM,  but fails when it tries to generate  (or collect?)  entropy or
some
> other step in the encryption game.

Yep.  z/OS has it; z/VM doesn't.  The name of the routine escapes me....