SCP uses SSH under the covers.  Your local SCP uses SSH to connect with a
partner SCP.  From what I have seen,  it does spawn a second process on
the local side,  so it's the same SSH command people would execute for
non-SCP work.  Multiple processes is cumbersome,  and on CMS (OpenVM) is
particularly heavy and can be messy.  Though I can see why the authors
would find the implementation easier that way.

I have never tried switching out what SCP uses for the session layer. It's
not clear that you can change SCP's use of SSH.  The  "command at target"
implies that SSH (and SCP) was installed outside of the default command
search,  in which case the partner SCP must be fully named.

Experience with the z/OS SSH package confirms that you can generate your
keys on a Unix system  (or Linux or CYGWIN).  They're stored as plain
text.

-- R;

Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

02/01/2007 01:54 PM
Please respond to The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

From
Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Open SSH on VM

Have you tried the scp command from the OpenSSH package? I need secure
file
copy from CMS more than I need a secure terminal session. But 'ssh target
"command to execute at target"' would be nice to execute from CMS. I can
deal with generating the public/private keys on one of my Linux svms or on
linux/86 platform.

Were you able to use some of the commands from the OpenSSL package, such
as
to encrypt a data file with some public/private key?

/Tom Kern
/301-903-2211