From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jim Vincent
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:58 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: CP VMDUMP for a mega server

We are doing a VMDUMP for a 2G linux server and it is taking FOREVER.
If this was a production server we would be picking daggers out of
places I can't mention here.

Paging is not too bad on the system (300/sec) and we set the share and
reserved for the guest up to maybe help, but nothing seems to get it
moving any.  It is doing about 1000 spool records every 15-20 seconds
and we guestimated it would be about 524288 records; after about an hour
it is less than half done!!

Is this to be expected?  Are we to expect VMDUMP to take that long for
these larger guests or do we have a situation we need to dig into?

_______________________________________
James Vincent
Systems Engineering Consultant
Nationwide Services Co., Technology Solutions
Mainframe, z/VM and z/Linux Support
One Nationwide Plaza  3-20-13
Columbus OH 43215-2220   U.S.A
Voice: (614) 249-5547    Fax: (614) 677-7681
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender,
delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or
redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this
e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/