> But I don't understand how restoring under VM and then IPLing MVS in
> another LPAR or on another nearby CEC is any faster than restoring in
the
> LPAR and then IPLing the restored system in an LPAR.  They are serial
> activities.

Restoring a 1 pack VM system, then doing multiple DFDSS restores allows
you to have multiple restores occur in parallel, up to the number of
tape drives you have available, which dramatically speed up the restore
process. Standalone DFDSS is still pretty dumb about making use of
multiple devices; restoring under VM removes much of this stupidity.