That use of "orthogonal" is common in computer science. Axes at right ang
les ("orthogonal") are
used to represent independent variables. These variables can be manipulat
ed independently. So in
this sense "orthogonal" and "independent" are similar. But in computer sc
ience they talk about
"orthogonal design", rather then "independent design", because the latter
 could mean many other
things.

I'm with Alan, and not just because he spells his name right!

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:00:58 +0100, Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> w
rote: