From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alain Benveniste
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 03:28 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: How to share tape drives

I read a similar discussion on the mailing list about assign.

We don't have any tools to share tapes between 1 VM & 20 MVS.
Something has been developped in the past which is not really
up-to-date.=

We remarked it needs too much CPU to do its work.

I project to use our VM to be THE platform to share tape drives between
lpars in a normal prod or when we do our disaster recovery tests (MVS
are=
 lvl2).
We only have ATL robots. I just tested one thing that could give other
id=
eas
to investigate.
I have attached a drive with the multiuser option. In parallel it was
use=
by a MVS. Then I tested the dfsmsrm q dev xxx (assign cmd and I was
surprised to get the volser that was mounted in MVS. If dfsmsrm is able
t=
send back this info, can't it be able to send back the part number or
the=

MVS partname too ? That could be great.
And (What VM diag D0 would say if a tape is mounted in a MVS ?)

Alain Benveniste