On Friday, 03/16/2007 at 10:32 CET, Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Suppose IBM would come up with something on the HMC to maintain the CP
> directory. An easy-to-use GUI application that talked to CP through
> some new hack in the SCLP area. That would make it impossible to run
> VM under VM unless also major parts of the HMC were virtualized
> (unlikely, at best you would have an option to deal with multiple VM
> images).

Sir, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, eh?  There are all
sorts of places where the underlying hardware does *not* shine through to
the guest.  Example: the integrated 3270 console.  VM continues to run
under VM just fine, albeit at a lower level of "awareness" of its
surroundings.

So we design CP to exist in an environment where he may be frustrated by
the lack of underlying hardware functionality.  When we reach a point that
doing that becomes too expensive and can no longer tolerate missing
function, we declare a new "Architectural Level Set" (ALS) and the Great
Wheel begins another revolution.  Further, you can rest assured that we
will adjust CP to virtualize the new ALS so that we may continue with VM
under VM.  (We couldn't develop z/VM without it! :-) )