Did you format the entire paging space? It needs to be pre-defined with 4k
page blocks before it can be used.

CMS minidisk volumes can be defined using ICKDSF by just formatting cyl 0 to
contain the correct label, and everything will handle formatting their small
piece of the world when the time comes, but paging space needs to be
completely formatted via ICKDSF before it¹s first use.

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OC-1-13              200 First Street SW