Many VSE shops have been running on multiple processors for a long time. We first started it on the 4381. Adding virtual processors to VSE improves performance but not as much as most people expect. With 2 processors you get about 180% of one processor. With 3 processors you get about 240%. More than 3 processors gives very little if any improvement. I have not found that dedicating a processor to VSE does any good. Others have done it.

My recommendation with several processors. Define multiple VSE guests and divide the workload among them. Give each guest 2 virtual processors. Let VM decide how to dispatch the virtual processors on the real processors.

These recommendations assume any VSE after about VSE/ESA 2.4 using the turbo dispatcher and a VM after HPO. :)

Posted to both VM-L and VSE-L.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I picked this up from the VSE-L, but it is a good question for VM.
I think many VSE shops are seeing multiple processors for the first time when they move to z-hardware and under VM it can be confussing as what to do with 4 processors.

The question(s) arise.
1) Is anything gained by giving VSE more than 1 virtual CPU?
2) With only 4 to go around does dedicating processors to VSE make sense?
3) Would the answers be any different depending on the number of guest VSE?

Assume z/VM 5.2 and z/VSE 3.1

Thanks

--
Stephen Frazier