From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Stracka, James (GTI)
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 1:18 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: CPU usage -- virtual or dedicated ?

I am not in favor of dedicating virtual CPUs as this restricts the other
users of the system and is a potential waste of resources and money.
Since the CP Scheduler does an excellent job of distribution of the
resources, then using the SHARE command might be better.

Assuming there are more than two VSE machines of which two really need
to use two virtual CPUs each and there are four real CPUs, then if I am
correct issue two SET SHARE commands:

set share vseguest1 relative 100 absolute 49% limithard
set share vseguest2 relative 100 absolute 49% limithard

Okay, it could be absolute 50% but if both VSE guests wanted the maximum
resources at the same time, no other work would get done.

My understanding of those two commands is that they would allow either
VSE guest to get almost the full usage of two real CPUs each any time
they need them.  Stated another way, either could at most get 49% of the
box leaving the remaining 51%  for all the other users of the four CPUs.
If both wanted the maximum at the same time it would be 49% for
vseguest1, 49% for vseguest2 and 2% for the remaining users.  Any other
time, the workload would be spread evenly among all the guests in the
box given QUICKDSP and other SHARE settings.

Am I correct?