Phil Smith III wrote:
Do you (a) believe this and (b) recognize the environment being (so badly) described?
I'm (a) not sure I do and (b) definitely don't, but I'm not as old as (some of)
you...

http://worsethanfailure.com/Comments/Saving_a_Few_Minutes.aspx

I don't quite believe it - the jargon's all wrong, and I don't buy the abstraction of "a user" on a system booted from tape. So, I'm trying to think of systems that might be like that - I booted PDP8 from DECtape, but that sure wasn't a supercomputer, and used by a lot more than 25 people. Definitely not early 360 running BOS or TOS, let alone early DOS, OS/360, or CP. Doesn't sound like 1130 either. IBM 7090 or 704x? STRETCH? That was rare enough, and by this time, who knows what it was like. Maybe CDC2600?

A little teaser for greying neurons...

cheers, Jeff

--
Jeff Savit