When I started with IBM in early 1967 DOS and TOS were contemporaries. I never remembered anything about TOS having been available before DOS. I started in the Chicago Distribution office and the Sears National Account was the tail that wagged the dog there. The Sears team, in order to demonstrate multi-programming, used a TOS system since there were too few 2311 disk drives around at Sears and MFT and certainly MVT could not be expected to run in the mid-60's.

As far as what Phil is referring to, I don't have the foggiest. I seldom have the desire or inclination to fight my way thru blogs and the S/360-30's that I supported for a few years were not even close to being super-computers. By my calculations, they were about 18KIP machines.

Jim

Tom Duerbusch wrote:
Well on the IBM side, there was TOS (Tape Operating System) just prior to =
DOS (Disk Operating System).  And, of course, there was timesharing.  Big =
industry at that time.  Now they call it "hosting".

Even back in the 370 days, we had to boot with the card reader, in order =
to get the standalone program loader in storage to boot from disk.

And I still remember keying in the first half dozen instruction with the =
CES (Console Entry Switchs) before you could boot.  I got to relieve those =
days with an IMSI 8080 <G>.

I still have the mylar, paper tape of many programs.  Mylar tape lasted a =
lot longer then paper tape.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Phil Smith III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/28/2007 4:24 PM >>>
Do you (a) believe this and (b) recognize the environment being (so badly) =
described? =20

I'm (a) not sure I do and (b) definitely don't, but I'm not as old as =
(some of) you...

http://worsethanfailure.com/Comments/Saving_a_Few_Minutes.aspx=20

--=20
...phsiii