Sorry Richard: WAKEUP is actively grabbing messages: even when your long
running program is active, WAKEUP's first level interrupt handler is active
too.  WAKEUP will queue the IUCV messages in its own storage.  It is not
only CP that queues.  When WAKEUP can't catch up CP queues too.  The minimum
CP queue is 256 (even if you ask for less on the IUCV *MSG statement).
Messages on top of that are displayed at the console, as if WAKEUP weren't
there.
I tested this years ago when we encountered problems with messages that
seemed to get lost