3174L has nothing to do with whether it is SNA or not, its how you config
it
also 3174R is remote and is not channel attached
on a new CPU which has not BUS/TAG you need to make sure you have a ESCON
attached 3174

             "Stracka, James
             (GTI)"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             .com>                     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             Sent by: The IBM                                           cc
             z/VM Operating
             System                                                Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Re: Two Questions About VM
             ARK.EDU>

             04/11/2007 02:55
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

Kris,

Thanks for reminding me about the 3174L (Local) vs 3174 (SNA).  Was that a
3174R or just plain 3174?

With the 3174L both TCP/IP and VTAM are not required as the are LOCAL
terminals to VM.

Jim