On Wednesday, 05/02/2007 at 11:09 AST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > I'd second (third?) the notion that SFS is the right answer, and
> should be
> > workable; I'd be interested to hear the reasons why it's not (boy,
> that
> > sounds challenging, but I mean it as a straight question!)
>
> SFS is the right answer, but it does impose a bunch of caveats.
>
> The biggest downside is that SFS breaks the ability to do good backups
> using simple tools (eg, DDR), and is administratively orders of
> magnitude more complex than minidisks if all you run VM for is to
> support Linux. Observing new shops, J Random VM Newbie *will* screw up
> SFS administration and lose data -- the tools aren't there to let
> someone with little VM experience successfully manage SFS.

Puhleeze.  That's like saying that running DB2 or Oracle is a bad idea
because you can't (shouldn't) perform out-of-band backups while it's
running.  In any case, SFS support is integrated into the commercial z/VM
backup/restore offerings from IBM and others.  No worries.  (I woudn't run
a VM system without an ESM or performance monitor, either.)

As to "administratively orders of magnitude more complex", I can only say
"phooey".  :-)  Adding disks and allocating space is orders of magnitude
simpler, IMO.  "Even a caveman can do it."  (That covers most sysprogs I
know, btw.) :-) You can make it more complicated, sure, but it doesn't
have to be that way.