Reading between the lines and drawing some conclusions...

You have several service machines that have some cylinders of dedicated minidisk space and write output files.
From a later email, your shop uses SFS, but doesn't want you to use it for
the LARGE amount of space that is currently dedicated to these service machines.
I'm told I can't have it for these (whole pack) volumes. I'm not sure of the
reasons.  (WAG: Are there old technology disks that can't be converted to
SFS?)

(The implication (to me) is that you could have it for smaller minidisks, but I may be reading too much into your words.)

Is it possible that your shop is falsely concerned about the amount of space that will be needed for your SFS usage? The minidisks used for the output files are likely over allocated to allow for size variations, so SFS may return some space for you (some of which you will have to use for the SFS control minidisks). You should get a reason for your shop not allowing the use of SFS. Maybe you can allay their fears. (No, to the WAG, AFAIK; someone else should answer that definitively.) Naturally, there might be a cutover period where a larger amount of disk space would be needed, but you should be able to work through that without having to double the space allocated. (Again, I'm assuming that there is a space concern.)

The use of the reader doesn't sound appropriate. The large minidisks implied suggests a high volume of write activity that would probably not perform well. (At least, not as well as SFS.)

As others have said, SFS sounds appropriate. If there are concerns about the performance of SFS, at least get that statement from your shop. Without knowing why they are opposed to it, you can't build a justification.

While you are at it, some clarification of the current activity would also help, to better understand the problem. Actually, why isn't the current state (writing to separate minidisks) no longer acceptable? What are they trying to achieve by combining them (space savings ;-) ? Or improved cleanup (another reason for SFS, IMO)? Easier browsing (put the files into directories named after the originating service machines and it is easy to browse with DIRLIST)? This last (separate directories) also alleviates any duplicate filename conflict problems that other solutions might have.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian S. Worthington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: Link Multiple Write safely

That's interesting, but conflicts with what some other folks have said here
earlier.

We are under CMS, and I don't want to do simultaneous update to a single file,
just allow several service machine to write their output files to single
location, which requires a mw-tolerant directory.

Apparently we can't convert the minidisks we're using to SFS.

NFS, as mentioned earlier might be an option: I'm trying to find out if its
enabled.

ian