[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

So, running DISKMAP to find gaps isn't complicated?  I mean, I guess
the
*concept* isn't complicated, but it is, uh, tedius, to say the least.
And
the penalty for forgetting to run DISKMAP is severe.  ICKDSF, cpfmtxa,
update SYSTEM CONFIG, and ATTACH to system are easy?

In essence, no. All the other steps (DSF, attach, etc) are necessary to
support Linux guests, and thus are consistently present whether you have
SFS or minidisk-based worlds. The departure is the additional steps
involved in making the storage available to SFS, which can only be used
by CMS (we won't cycle through that argument again...), and which only
comes into play for the CMS-based tasks that are essentially a black-box
mystery to the Linux-oriented world. That's where the additional
complexity comes into play.

With Linux guests you must enter a lot of commands after you attach the new disks to the Linux guest. (Create a file system, up date the intrd, mount the disk, etc. and don't forget to ZIPL or it all goes away on the next boot.) That is just like entering some SFS commands to finish setting up additional storage for SFS. The commands are different but the need for them is obvious to a Linux administrator. The only people who find setting up SFS complicated are old VM system programmers.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit