On Wednesday, 05/02/2007 at 06:58 AST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > >Ultimately, I'm trying to answer the question: if you have
> > >CMS-oriented users today, where are they going to go?
> > I think that's an old question these days.  Around here, it's pretty
> > hard to find a CMS-only oriented person.
>
> Probably badly phrased on my part: CMS-oriented applications is probably
> a better description. The stuff works, it's tested, and rewriting it
> probably isn't cost-effective. Where do those applications go? And how?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  If it's dependent on VSAM, then you
have to re-examine the "isn't cost-effective" assumption.  The cost of a
VSAM failure is higher than it used to be since you no longer have the
help of the Support Center.

The same goes for using old compilers.  Evaluate the risks and benefits
and proceed from there.  It's not an academic thought experiment, it's a
business decision.

This is all business as usual, isn't it?  We're just
accustomed/conditioned to CMS being the same year after year after year.