On Thursday, 05/03/2007 at 11:35 AST, "Edward M. Martin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  was caused by IBM not
> supporting a product that is supported by the other IBM Operating
> systems.
>
> IBM is basically breaking a working system. (IMHO)
>
> And I am working on away to get off the VM/VSAM part, and it looks like
> it will be a NON-IBM solution.  But I am still looking.

By "business as usual", I mean that IBM continually withdraws products
from the marketplace, even some that people are using.  There are still
people using VM/ESA V2.

It was nearly two years ago (June 2005) that we announced that you would
no longer be able to order VM/VSAM effective September 30, 2005.  In
August of the same year we announced that VM/VSAM would end service
February 28, 2007.  Standard meaning: "Don't deploy new applications that
depend on VM/VSAM and begin working on a migration or risk mitigation plan
for applications you already have."  It's true that if there is no
replacement product from IBM, and no 3rd-party substitute, then, yes, the
application is eventually re-hosted or discontinued completely.  And
sometimes on a non-IBM, non-Linux platform.  IBM makes the decisions it
makes and has to live with the consequences.

I'm also sensitive to the fact that those decisions can also affect
someone's livlihood (inside IBM and out).  I don't blame anyone for being
upset, if that's the case.

Don't get me wrong, I wish VM/VSAM was still around, but it isn't, so
you're doing the right thing, triggering an application review.  If you
choose that the risk of being unsupported is greater than the benefit your
company derives from the application, then it is time for a change.

Finally, to the best of my knowledge, we have done nothing to "break" a
working system.  If you find a defect in CMS that causes VSAM to break,
and you have a VM support contract, we will fix it.  If you find a defect
in VSAM itself, no such luck unless you have an extended VSAM support
contract.