> It's sad to accept that CMS won't be the application hosting solution in
> the future -- I think it's a mistake, but like Mike Walter, this is a
> battle we probably can't win, and pretty much it won't be a win to try.
> So what do we do?

Well, I think I just said that I won't be around for the battle.  But
here's what we CAN do (and what I've been suggesting on and off since the
year 2000)...
... show the Linux techs who are moving to run servers under VM what we an
do with REXX, CMS Pipelines, XEDIT, and any other number of great
productive development (and **production**) tools.  While they are being
exposed, exploit a simple TCPIP connection between the Linux guest to pump
data from the Linux server to CMS - where it can quickly and efficiently
be processed, sending the result back to the Linux server via TCPIP.  Let
CMS be a server, too!

Build it and they won't come.  Show them how it makes their lives easier
and they WILL come -- lowering their TCO and buying more mainframe mips,
too.

z/VM is a collection of fabulous tools.  Use the best tool for the job at
hand, sometimes: CMS.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"David Boyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
05/07/2007 10:33 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM usability

> >By "business as usual", I mean that IBM continually withdraws
products
> >from the marketplace, even some that people are using.

Granted. IBM has that privilege, no argument. We rarely force you to
change your mind on these issues (at least where it really counted,
somebody took a risk continuing VM development, with obvious results).

It's sad to accept that CMS won't be the application hosting solution in
the future -- I think it's a mistake, but like Mike Walter, this is a
battle we probably can't win, and pretty much it won't be a win to try.
So what do we do?

> >It's true that if there is no
> >replacement product from IBM, and no 3rd-party substitute, then, yes,
the
> >application is eventually re-hosted or discontinued completely.  And
> >sometimes on a non-IBM, non-Linux platform.  IBM makes the decisions
it
> >makes and has to live with the consequences.

I think the best mitigation for those consequences would be to provide
some type of migration aid.

So, I'd really like to turn the discussion back to the original
question: what do we need and how do we get from the existing CMS-based
environment to a new environment?

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.