Paul Raulerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>No, I have looked, and CMS Pipelines are nice indeed. But then so are pipes
>under UNIX; indeed, pipes are the very core of UNIX. If you are not annoyed
>by discussing it, I would love to hear your opinions on what is so primitive
>about UNIX. :)

This is an interesting topic: *IX fans are always horrified (at least, at
first) by CMS Pipelines, I think mostly because since Pipes isn't part of the
OS, you have to *gasp* enter a SEPARATE COMMAND to use them.  That's obviously
a nit in the scheme of things, but reflects one of the philosophical
differences between the two worlds.

*IX has been described as an environment with a lot of little tools that you
glue (or maybe duct tape) together; CMS is an environment with larger tools
that often don't play together so well.  CMS Pipes bridges a lot of that gap,
but (I suspect) since the *IX fans like their paradigm, they see it as a
kludge.  Which, in a way, it is.

OTOH, we VMers look at *IX and say "What kind of OS has awk AND sed AND Perl
AND all these obscure little things like 'wc' and 'tr' and 'uniq' and and
and...?"  It feels kludgy and awkward (no pun intended) to have so many
overlapping functions.

So maybe this is an "agree to disagree" deal -- the two camps may never really
come together fully.

I look forward to others' thoughts on this topic!

ObAnecdote: 25 or so years ago, back at UofW, we had basic Pipe commands built
into CMS: >, >>, and < at least.  They were not a great success; whether this
was due to the lack of the 273 other functions (wc et al.) or due to a
difference in OS philosophy I'm not sure.

...phsiii