There had to be a configuration change between the old machine and the z9. VM won't behave that differently just because of different hardware.

Berry van Sleeuwen wrote:
Hello List,

Last week we have seen an IPL that did not go the way I'd expected. It
went OK, so VM is running, but it doesn't feel right.

In the past our IPL procedures were:
- Connect a terminal session to a console (let's say device 820)
- load the LPAR on HMC with loadparm 820.
- On the console the SA-IPL appears.
- Change parameters if required and press PF10.
- On the console user OPERATOR is logged on and some information on IPL i
s displayed on the console.
- User OPERATOR runs PROP and disconnects.

Our new VM runs on a z9 machine. (actually 6 VM's on two machines) The IP
L now looks like this:
- Connect terminal
- load LPAR
- console turns to the VM logon screen.

No SA-IPL, so also no way to specify a PROMPT or a different PARM disk. N
o user OPERATOR to ask for start parameters (WARM, NOAUTOLOG) or to display the IPL steps, such as SPOOL init, and things like that. When closing the console log for operator I can see the lines I would expect to see on the console so it did all those things but it didn't show us that.

It only happens on a z9 machine. Our VM's on z890 and z990 machines do show the SA-IPL during IPL. All VM's are z/VM 5.2 and use basically the same system config. So it looks like it has something to do with the machine or its configuration.

Has anyone ever seen this? Any ideas as to what the cause would be?

TIA,
Berry van Sleeuwen.

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2008 - Chattanooga - April 18-22, 2008