From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shimon Lebowitz
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 6:08 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] OSA crash

Hi,
Right in the middle of a work day, all LPARs and stacks using an OSA
suddenly lost connections, and the operator console showed this:

12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCOSD309W Received adapter-initiated Stop Lan
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCOSD082E OSD shutting down:
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCPRI385I    Device OSA-B2:
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCPRI386I       Type: OSD, Status: Ready
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCPRI387I       Envelope queue size: 0
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCPRI388I       Address: B200
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCQDI001I QDIO device OSA-B2 device number B202:
12:13:46 TCPIP   : DTCQDI007I   Disable for QDIO data transfers

According to the messages manual:

Explanation:  TCP/IP received a response from the device indicating that the
device is not ready. This can occur when the device is unplugged, for
example, or when a CP UNCOUPLE command is issued to disconnect a virtual
network adapter from a VM LAN segment.

However, the cable was not unplugged.
I had to go to each stack and do an IFCONFIG <name> UP command.

Are there events other than unplugging a cable which could cause this
problem?

Does this happen to others? What do you do about it?

Thanks,
Shimon
**
Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.     http://www.poboxes.com/shimonpgp
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 542-9877  fax: 542-9308
**