Short answer is yes, it should work.

Adam Thornton wrote:
So, I presume we're going to want z/VM 5.3 on our Flex box when it's available.

We *do* have a deskside 3480/3490 drive, so we can use that if we must. But it's slow and kind of cranky.

I was wondering whether it ought to be possible, instead, to do a DVD install. As I understand it, on a real zSeries (do I mean System Z? I get confused) box, all that basically does is start an FTP server on the HMC and then allow the installing VM instance to FTP stuff over.

The Flex box has (or can trivially have) an FTP server on it. It would be a whole lot less unpleasant to just mount the DVD (or copy the files off the DVD onto the Flex host) than it would to deal with real magtape. Is this likely to work?

Adam

--
DJ
V/Soft