From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of O'Brien, Dennis L
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:00 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Installing z/VM 5.3 on Flex-ES box

Adam,
Assuming the process hasn't changed in 5.3, you can do a second-level
install from DVD.  The process is much simpler than a first-level install.
It shouldn't matter at all that you're on a Flex system.  The FTP server can
be on Windows, Linux, or anything else that can read a DVD drive.  In my
case, we're not allowed to have FTP servers on our desktops, so I use Samba
to move the contents to a Linux guest, then use vsftpd on the guest as my
FTP server.  This worked for installing 5.1 and 5.2.  The only restriction
is that your first-level system must be z/VM 5.1 or later.  Details are in
the Guide for Automated Installation and Service.

I can't speak to the licensing issues, but there's no technical reason that
you shouldn't be able to use a DVD.

                                                       Dennis O'Brien

The three R's of Windows problem resolution: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.