On Tuesday, 07/03/2007 at 03:46 EST, "McBride, Catherine"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm confused.  If SSL is provided thru Linux, how does that work with
TN3270E?
> Maybe it's just been a long on-call week (already), but am struggling to

> connect the dots (or in this case, the 3270 sessions).  How can we come
in to
> Linux via TN3270?    Or, is the IP stack on VM doing the communication
to the
> Linux guest and the 3270 session is unaware of it...

"And a miracle occurs *here* in Step 2..."  :-)

You don't come into Linux, you come into your VM system just as you always
have.  With z/VM 5.3, if your tn3270e client tries to negotiate a secure
session, the telnet server will issue new APIs to allow the Linux guest to
handle the SSL/TLS protocols, key management, and encryption/decryption.
It inserts Linux into the middle of the data flow.

Because of tight integration with the VM TCP/IP stack, the full Linux
AF_INET stack is replaced with a thin AF_INET layer more closely akin to
CMS.  So, the Linux guest looks like a CMS application to the VM TCP/IP
stack and does not require its own network connections.

The version of this technology, which we affectionately call "VMsock",
released with z/VM 5.3 is shipped under the terms of GPLv2.  (Not the SSL
server, but the thin AF_INET stack for Linux.)